Friday, May 21, 2010

Best City In Michigan for a Small Starter Family? Room for personal growth (career, school, hobbies)?

Hi, I'm from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and I've come down state with my hubby in pursuit of better jobs, but we haven't had much luck! Right now, it's just us and one little guy.





We are interested in having the option of technical training or certification at the moment, I was going to pursue college for Liberal Arts and Sciences later on. The hobbies we like to engage in together are outdoors activities such as fishing, hiking, canoeing, and hunting. We have also shared a history of playing soccer. Personally, I enjoy water sports above all else. I have also taken on yoga and martial arts. I am also an occasional artist and foodie.





A few things I love about our area at the moment I may not want to let go of are farmer's markets, kite skiing, yoga instructors, two near-by ok colleges, midwives, an arts council, a wonderful library that has great programs for kids and teens, and an arts academy for children up to the 8th grade. However, I would like to keep my options open!

Best City In Michigan for a Small Starter Family? Room for personal growth (career, school, hobbies)?
Being from Michigan, I would say that Grand Rapids fits your criteria the best. You can get out of the city within a half hour to do the nature things, you are 45 minutes maximum from Grand Haven/Holland for the water sports, and a generally a great place to raise kids. I would choose a surrounding town of GR proper.
Reply:I'd definitely point you in the direction of a college town (they're recession proof) and offer a good source of jobs, a variety of diversions in terms of personal interests and most typically a well above average school district for children. That said, how about Ann Arbor? It's a beautiful city, with great assets and plenty of opportunity. It would definitely cover everything you mentioned on your list..


No comments:

Post a Comment