Monday, May 17, 2010

Metabolism and alternate day fasting?

I think my metabolism has been damaged some what by crash dieting in my teens.


I now have a very healthy and very active lifestyle.


I want tips on how to increase my metabolism naturally.


Also, to help lose a few excess pounds (only about 10) I wandered about the benefits of alternate day fasting. For example 2-3 days fasting on juice or water or just soup every week.


is this likely to slow my metabolism down? Even if I 'mcontinuing my normal exercise programe? Or will it help me lose a few lbs and maintain a healthy metabolism?


I've heard one day fasting a week is excellent for the system.


Ive done longer fasts 7-10days before, but with my training programe(Im learning to be a martial arts teacher)it's too difficult after a few days to keep up with classes.


So my questions:1) How to increase metabolism 2)How about 2-3days fasting on soup/juice a week for weight loss ?


Any sensible advice would be appreciated.

Metabolism and alternate day fasting?
I am an acupuncturist and have to answer this type of question often. In Chinese medicine, generally speaking the Kidney Fire represents an active metabolism. There are qi gong exercises, acupuncture and herbs that regulate the Kidney Fire".





Chinese medicine is not a big fan of fasts; they are known to damage the Spleen Qi leading to much bigger problems and weight gain down the road. Hope this perspective will help you in maintaining wellness!





Remember, Chinese medicine has been around for thousands of years and uses sustainable theories.


No comments:

Post a Comment