Thursday, November 12, 2009

Can I get some suggestions on martial arts scheduling?

Okay, here's the deal. I have a passion for martial arts, and I never seem to have enough time to do all the training that I would like. I've always believed that it is important to be as well-rounded a martialist as I can be, which is why I want to study various types of stand-up fighting (currently taking Wing Chun, would also like to study jiu-jutsu, Kenpo, JKD, Escrima and other styles), become well-versed in grappling styles such as BJJ, and study the use of weapons, both traditional and modern. Ideally, besides these things I would like to take Tai Chi for better grace and balance, yoga for flexibility, Wushu for agility and acrobatics (I know it's not super useful in most fights, but it's fun and I still like to be as well-rounded as possible), and Muay Thai for body conditioning and basic fight experience (I have trouble shying away from punches). How do I find time in my entire life to study all that I want to and still have time for school, work, ministry, and family?

Can I get some suggestions on martial arts scheduling?
My advice is to find one traditional style to build a foundation with. Kenpo is my foundation. Other styles like kickboxing, grappling and boxing don't generally use belts, so they make great styles to cross train in. Also some schools offer additional programs built within the system. In Chinese kenpo we have shootfighting, which is like kickboxing, wrestling and grappling combined. Hope I was somewhat use full.
Reply:I understand wanting to be well rounded, but the problem becomes (and I have seen it many times) that in order to study all the different things that u want to, you don't study them deeply enough to get much benefit from any of them. I would suggest focusing on what is really important to you, and pursuing that. U mentioned ministry- is it presumptuous of me to suggest praying about it?

home theater

No comments:

Post a Comment