Saturday, November 14, 2009

Is this a good training regimen?

I'm currently training for martial arts and strength. A typical strength training day consists of the following:





Chest (for example)


Incline Bench Press - 6 Reps


Incline Dumbell Press - 10 Reps


16 Pushups


-Thats one circuit. I'll do those exercises without resting, rest for 60 seconds and repeat 3 more times.





By the end of the workout I'm beat and I really feel like I worked myself pretty hard, however, it only takes maybe 20 minutes to do all that, which seems like a very little amount of time for a day of chest workouts. Does there seem to be any error in this?

Is this a good training regimen?
I roll BJJ, and strength training is good, but cardio training is, well, gooder ;-). You need to start with a cardio blast, and end with a cardio rolldown. I would suggest hit the treadmill at the beginning... +.5 MPH every 2 minutes for 10 minutes. Then do your set (I would recommend 8-10 reps per exercise, though...6 is too few). Finally, cool it down with some light bike work for 10 minutes or so, then stretch out on the mats. You're off to a good start, though!





Edit - Forgot an old tag line of someone I used to train/train with..."Without breath, there is no strength." In other words - hit that cardio!





Edit (Part Deux) - Brazilian Jiu Jitsu...Royce Gracie style ;-)
Reply:2 excercises i do for chest is the (i don't know what it's called) "sitting push-down". It's a machine that you sit down wtih your chest against a pad. there are handles to either side of you and you push down, rotating the weight that is in front of you. i also do the standard "chest pull" where you're either laying on your back or sitting straight and you pull your arms together. i also lay on my back with a 25lb. dumbell in my hands and start with the weight above me head and then, keeping my arms straight, bring the weight forward until it reaches my stomach. this really works out the top of the chest. sorry for lack of proper names. i hope the descriptions make sense. i use these excercises and they've really helped me make improvements.


No comments:

Post a Comment